Monday, July 20, 2009

Why Learn History

By Pastor Mo

There is something about reading of true events gone by that can stir the heart like no other. I have always had a love of history and fondly remember it as my favorite subject in school. I see now the importance of it, not just as a pastor, but as a Christian. I feel I have learned just as much doctrine and theology when studying history, as I do when I tackle these subjects head on.

Some of you may be wondering “why are you wasting time learning about other men, and not just studying Jesus and the Scriptures?” and you are correct, there is no greater area of study than Christ and the Scriptures. These should hold such a foundational position on our lives as to never run the risk of being moved for anything. Knowing that the Scriptures are what we base all our belief from and never deviating from them, should free us to study other facets of life in this light.

There is so much to gain from Christian history. It would be rare to have a thought or belief in Scripture that has never come up before, and dealt with by the church. If, somehow, we have stumbled upon an original belief we should tread even slower and many red flags should be popping up. Why has no one else seen this in the Scriptures, in the past?

Our church has a great resource entitled “Ekklesia” which is a 25 class lecture series on Church History, taught by pastor Steve Feinstein. I have taken Church History courses in the past and read many books on the topic, and I found this class to be excellent. There is lots of theology taught, mostly when studying the early Church Fathers.

As of late, one of my favorite ways to study, is to learn about someone else’s life. This is studying through biographies. There are many great books as well as amazing sessions and sermons taught by great men of God. The Bible teaches the importance of holy emulation. We are to emulate men of God, and the only way to do this is to learn about them. What shaped their lives? What they taught on certain Scriptures? What beliefs were they killed for? Along with many other questions. We need to be grounded in what the Bible says about man, and realize they are men just like us, having failed at times.

Desiring God ministries has many of the best biographies I have ever heard. Pastor John Piper delivers these memoirs and biographies with unparalleled enthusiasm and detail. He will make you feel like you actually met the person talked about, while learning about their heartaches and victories. I would really encourage our church body to look into these free resources we have available. I will end with some verses on emulation to draw us closer to God, but never interfere or become the focus of our adoration:

“Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1).

“Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us” (Philippians 3:17).

“What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:9).

“And you became imitators of us and of the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 1:6).

“[Do] not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises” (Hebrews 6:12).

“You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness” (2 Timothy 3:10).

“Continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it” (2 Timothy 3:14).

“Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity” (Titus 2:7).

The old Puritan Thomas Brooks comments on holy emulation in The Secret Key to Heaven:

Bad men are wonderfully in love with bad examples.... Oh, that we were as much in love with the examples of good men as others are in love with the examples of bad men.

Shall we love to look upon the pictures of our friends; and shall we not love to look upon the pious examples of those that are the lively and lovely picture of Christ? The pious examples of others should be the mirrors by which we should dress ourselves.

He is the best and wisest Christian...that imitates those Christians that are most imminent in grace.... It is noble to live by the examples of the most eminent saints. (12-13)

1 comment:

Stephen Feinstein said...

These are good points. I am so annoyed with apathy concerning history among American Protestant Christians. It is for this reason they are ill equipped to deal with Orthodox and Catholic apologists. Also, it is just plain lazy, sad, and inexcusable that Christians have no interest in higher learning. Why not want to know about people who have tread the road before us who point out the pitfalls for our benefit? Why not be inspired by the heroes of our faith who found Christ precious enough to live and die for? My only guess is many of those apathetic folks today do not find Christ or His church precious at all, other than for fire insurance.

Thanks for the Ekklesia plug. Hopefully more interest will emerge for all of our classes. This Sunday's message will touch on this slightly. God bless.